Behnam Taebi is an assistant professor of philosophy at Delft University of Technology, and an associate with the Harvard Kennedy School’s Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs. His research interests are in energy ethics, nuclear ethics and responsible innovation. He studied Material Science and Engineering (2006) and received his Ph.D. in Philosophy of Technology (2010). Taebi is currently working on a project on ethics and governance of multinational nuclear waste repositories (with a personal Veni-grant awarded by the Dutch Research Council). He is the coordinating editor of a volume on The Ethics of Nuclear Energy (Cambridge University Press, 2015) and a special issue of Journal of Risk Research (2015) on “Socio-Technical Challenges of Nuclear Power Production” and is currently writing a monograph on Ethics and Engineering (under contract with Cambridge University Press). Taebi is a member (2016-2021) of The Young Academy, part of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences.
Scientific publications (selection)
- Dignum, M., Correlje, A., Cuppen, E., Pesch, U. and B. Taebi. Forthcoming. Contested Technologies and Design for Values: The Case of Shale Gas. Science and Engineering Ehics. DOI 10.1007/s11948-015-9685-6 available online
- Correlje, A., E. Cuppen, M. Dignum, U. Pesch and B. Taebi. 2015. Responsible Innovation in Energy Projects: Values in the Design of Technologies, Institutions and Stakeholder Interactions. In Responsible Innovation 2: Concepts, Approaches, and Applications, edited by E. J. Koops et. al. Heidelberg: Springer: 183-200. available online
- Taebi, B. and I. R. Van de Poel, eds. 2015. Socio-technical challenges of nuclear power production and waste disposal in the post-Fukushima Era. Special Issue of Journal of Risk Research 18 (3): 267-405. available online
- Taebi, B. and I. R. Van de Poel. 2015. Socio-technical challenges of nuclear power production and waste disposal in the post-Fukushima Era. Editors' overview. Journal of Risk Research 18 (3): 267-272. available online
- Taebi, B. and J. L. Kloosterman. 2015. Design for values in nuclear technology. In Handbook of Ethics, Values, and Technological Design: Sources, Theory, Values and Application Domains, edited by J. van den Hoven, P. Vermaas and I. Van de Poel. Dordrecht: Springer Science+Business Media: 805-829 available online
- Taebi, B. and S. Roeser, eds. 2015. The Ethics of Nuclear Energy: Risk, Justice and Democracy in the post-Fukushima Era. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. available online
- Taebi, B., A. Correljé, E. Cuppen, M. Dignum and U. Pesch. 2014. Responsible innovation and an endorsement of public values: the need for interdisciplinary research. Journal of Responsible Innovation 1 (1): 118-124.
- Taebi, B. 2013. Moral dilemmas of uranium and thorium fuel cycles. In Social and Ethical Aspects of Radiation Risk Management, edited by D. Oughton and S. O. Hansson. Amsterdam: Elsevier: 259-280.
- Taebi, B. 2012. Intergenerational Risks of Nuclear Energy. In Handbook of Risk Theory. Epistemology, Decision Theory, Ethics and Social Implications of Risk, edited by S. Roeser, R. Hillerbrand, P. Sandin and M. Peterson. Dordrecht: Springer: 295-318. available online
- Taebi, B. 2012. Multinational nuclear waste repositories and their complex issues of justice. Ethics, Policy & Environment 15 (1): 57-62. available online
- Taebi, B., S. Roeser and I. Van de Poel. 2012. The ethics of nuclear power: social experiments, intergenerational justice, and emotions. Energy Policy (51): 202-206. available online
- Taebi, B. 2011. Ethics of Nuclear Power: How to understand sustainability in the nuclear debate. In Nuclear Power - Deployment, Operation and Sustainability, edited by P. Tsvetkov: InTech: Rijeka, Croatia, InTech: 129-150. available online
- Taebi, B. 2011. The Morally Desirable Option for Nuclear Power Production. Philosophy & Technology 24 (2): 169-192. available online
- Taebi, B. 2010. Sustainable energy and the controversial case of nuclear power. In Sustainability Ethics: 5 questions, edited by R. Raffaelle, W. Robison and E. Selinger. Copenhagen: Automatic Press: 233-242. available online
- Taebi, B. and A.C. Kadak. 2010. Intergenerational Considerations Affecting the Future of Nuclear Power: Equity as a Framework for Assessing Fuel Cycles. Risk Analysis 30 (9):1341-1362. available online
- Taebi, B. 2009. Nuclear Power and Prima Facie Duties towards Future People, Proceedings of the conference ISTAS IEEE International Symposium on Technology and Society Proceedings 2009, May 18-20, 2009, Tempe, Arizona: 1-4. available online
- Taebi, B. and A. C. Kadak. 2008. Intergenerational future of nuclear power, equity as a universal language to assess fuel cycles, Proceedings of the conference Workshop on Philosophy and Engineering, November 10-12, 2008, The Royal Academy of Engineering, London: 63-65. available online
- Taebi, B. and J. L. Kloosterman. 2008. To Recycle or Not to Recycle? An Intergenerational Approach to Nuclear Fuel Cycles. Science and Engineering Ethics 14 (2):177-200. available online
Professional/Popular publications (selection)
- Araújo, K. and B. Taebi. Where Should Nuclear Waste be Dumped? The National Interest, 26 May, 2015. available online
- Taebi, B. and E. Cuppen. Innovation to tackle climate change must be socially responsible. Thomas Reuters Foundation, 20 April 2015. available online
- Taebi, B. and M. Mayer. The Russian Nuclear Energy Proposal: An Offer You Can't Refuse. The Huffington Post, 5 June, 2015. available online
- Taebi, B. Nuclear Summit in Holland Neglects Crucial Security Issues, The Huffington Post, 28 March 2014. available online
- Taebi, B. Key 'Missing' Debate Over Future of Nuclear Energy Is Waste Storage, The Huffington Post, 26 September 2013. available online
- Taebi, B. Multinational repositories can address nuclear waste stockpile, Reuters.com, 25 November 2013. available online
- Taebi, B., Correlje, A. (2013) Bedenkt technologisch compromis. De Ingenieur, 14/15, jaargang 125 click to open pdf
- Taebi, B. 2010. Een nieuwe splijtstofcyclus kan het vastgelopen debat over kernenergie doen kantelen, Opinie & Debat/ NRC Handelsblad, 11 september 2010 click to open pdf
- Taebi, B. 2010. The Burden of Nuclear Waste. New York Times (International Herald Tribune) Op-Ed, August 30 2010 available online
- Taebi, B. 2009. Splijtbare rechtvaardigheid, kernenergie en belangenconflicten tussen generaties In De politiek der dingen, edited by F. Bolkestein, J. M. van den Hoven, I. R. van de Poel and I. Oosterlaken. Budel: Uitgeverij Damon: 139-151. available online
- Taebi, B. and S. Polder-Verkiel. 2008. Engineering ontmoet filosofie: verstandshuwelijk of ware liefde? Algemeen Nederlands Tijdschrift voor Wijsbegeerte , jrg. 100, nr 3, 247-250.
- Taebi, B. 2007. It's Time for Science Globalization. In: M. van der Sanden, (ed.). You can't just blame the crocodile, Delft engineers travel into sustainability, Delft University of Technology (ISBN 978-90-79347-01-8) click to open pdf