Philip Brey (Ph.D., University of California, San Diego, 1995) is professor of philosophy of technology and chair of the department of philosophy, University of Twente, the Netherlands. He is also scientific director of the 3TU.Centre for Ethics and Technology. He is a former president of the executive board of the Society for Philosophy of Technology and a former member of the board of the International Society for Ethics and Information Technology and the International Association of Computing and Philosophy. He is a member of the editorial board of the journals Techné: Research in Philosophy and Technology, Ethics and Information Technology, the Journal of Information, Communication and Ethics in Society, Nanoethics: Ethics for Technologies that Converge at the Nanoscale, and six others. He previously taught at Delft University of Technology and the University of California, San Diego.
Brey’s Ph.D. thesis focused on the cognitive turn in epistemology and the philosophy of science. Since then, his attention has shifted to the philosophy of technology. He has published in the areas of general philosophy of technology, philosophy of science, philosophy of biomedical technology, philosophy of sustainable technology and philosophy of information and communication technology (ICT). In general philosophy of technology, he has published on the relation between technology, society, culture and the body; the relation between technology and science; the nature of engineering design; and the status of philosophy of technology as a field. In the philosophy and ethics of biomedical technology, his research has focused on ethics of bioengineering, prosthetics, neuromodulation and human enhancement. Much of his current research is directed to the philosophy and ethics of ICT, where he has published on the ethical and political aspects of computer systems design, the limits of artificial intelligence, the ethics and ontology of virtuality, the role of ICT in mobility and surveillance, the implications of ICT for globalization, geographical organization and the quality of life. He is co-editor, with Thomas Misa and Andrew Feenberg, of Modernity and Technology (MIT Press, 2003) and (co)editor of two special issues of the journal Ethics and Information Technology. He currently manages a five-year Vici project in the philosophy of technology that involves six researchers and focuses on the social and cultural quality of new media.
Scientific publications (selection)
- Brey, P., Briggle, A. and Spence, E. (eds.)(2012) The Good Life in a Technological Age, Routledge. available online
- Brey, Philip and Søraker, Johnny H. 2009. Philosophy of Computing and Information Technology. In A. Meijers, ed., Philosophy of Technology and Engineering Sciences. Vol IX in D. Gabbay, P. Thagard and J. Woods, eds., Handbook of the Philosophy of Science. Amsterdam: Elsevier, pp. 1341-1408. available online
- Current Issues in Computing and Philosophy. 2008. Edited by Briggle, A. Waelbers, K. and Brey, P. A. E. Amsterdam: IOS Press. available online
- A.W. Briggle, K. and Brey, P.A.E (eds). 2008. .Current Issues in Computing and Philosophy. 2008. Edited by Amsterdam: IOS Press. available online
- Brey, P.A.E. 2008. Techniek en alles wat van waarde is. Enschede: Universiteit Twente. click to open pdf
- Brey, P.A.E. 2008. Do We Have Moral Duties Towards Information Objects? Ethics and information technology 10 (2-3):109-114. available online
- Brey, P.A.E. 2008. Human Enhancement and Personal Identity. In New Waves in Philosophy of Technology edited by E. B. Olsen, Selinger and S. Riis. New York: Palgrave Macmillan. available online
- Brey, P.A.E. 2008. Technological Design as an Evolutionary Process. In Philosophy and Design. From Engineering to Architecture edited by P. Vermaas, P. Kroes, A. Light and S. Moore. Dordrecht. available online
- Brey, P.A.E. 2008. The Computer as Cognitive Artifact and Simulator of Worlds. In Current Issues in Computing and Philosophy, edited by A. Briggle, K. Waelbers and P. A. E. Brey. Amsterdam: IOS. available online
- Brey, P.A.E. 2008. Virtual Reality and Computer Simulation. In The Handbook of Information and Computer Ethics edited by I. E. Himma and H. Tavani. Hoboken (NJ/USA): John Wiley & Sons available online
- Rosas, Omar 2008. On the ecological/representational structure of virtual environments. In Current issues in computing and philosophy edited by A. R. Briggle, K. Waelbers and P. A. E. Brey. Amsterdam: IOS Press available online
- Brey, P.A.E. 2007. Computer Ethics in (Higher) Education. In Computation, Information Cognition: The Nexus and the Liminal, edited by G. Dodig-Crnkovic and S. Stuart. Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Press. available online
- Brey, P.A.E. 2007. Computer Ethics of the Right and the Good. In: Proceedings of CEPE 2007: The 7th International Conference of Computer Ethics, at Enschede.
- Brey, P.A.E. 2007. Ethical Dimensions of Security, Privacy and Trust. In Security, Privacy and Trust in Modern Data Management, edited by M. Petcovic and W. Jonker. New York: Springer. available online
- Brey, P.A.E. 2007. Is Information Ethics Culture-Relative? International Journal of Technology and Human Interaction 3 (3):12-24. available online
- Brey, P.A.E. 2007. Method in Computer Ethics: Toward a Multi-Level Interdisciplinary Approach. In Computer Ethics, International Library of Essays in Public and Professional Ethics Series, edited by J. Weckert. Brookfield (USA): Ashgate Publishing Company. available online
- Brey, P.A.E. 2007. Nieuwe Media en Het Goede Leven. Algemeen Nederlands Tijdschrift voor Wijsbegeerte, 132-140. available online
- Brey, P.A.E. 2007. Theorizing the Cultural Quality of New Media. TechnÃ©: Research in Philosophy and Technology, Fall 2007, 11(1): 1-18. click to open pdf
- Brey, P.A.E., L. Hinman, L. Floridi, F. Grodzinsky, and L. Introna. 2007. Proceedings of Cepe 2007.
- Soraker, Johnny H. and Brey, Philip. 2007. "Ambient Intelligence and Problems with Inferring Desires from Behaviour", International Review of Information Ethics, 8(1):7-12. available online
- Brey, P.A.E. 2006. Editorial Introduction Privacy and Surveillance. Ethics and Information Technology 7 (4):183-184. available online
- Brey, P.A.E. 2006. Ethical Aspects of Behavior-Steering Technology. In User Behavior and Technology Develepment, edited by P. P. C. C. Verbeek and A. Slob. Dordrecht: Springer. available online
- Brey, P.A.E. 2006. Evaluating the Social and Cultural Implications of the Internet. Computers and Society 36 (3):41-48. click to open pdf
- Brey, P.A.E. 2006. Freedom and Privacy in Ambient Intelligence. Ethics and Information Technology 7 (3):157-166. available online
- Brey, P.A.E. 2006. Social and Ethical Dimensions of Computer-Mediated Education. Journal of Information, Communication and Ethics in Society 4 (2):91-102. available online
- Brey, P.A.E. 2006. The Social Agency of Technological Artifacts. A Typologie. In User Behavior and Technology Development, edited by P. P. C. C. Verbeek and A. Slob. Dordrecht: Springer. available online
- Brey, P.A.E., F. Grodzinsky, and L. Introna. 2006. Editorial Introductions. Ethics of New Information Technology.Ethics and Information Technology 7 (3):109-109. available online
- Brey, P.A.E. 2005. Artifacts as Social Agents. In Inside the Politics of Technology. Agency and Normativity in the Production of Technology and Society, edited by H. Harbers. Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press. available online
- Brey, P.A.E. 2005. Freedom and Privacy in Ambient Intelligence. Paper read at Ethics of New Information Technology (Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference of Computer Ethics., CEPE2005).
- Brey, P.A.E. 2005. Prosthetics. In MacMillan Encyclopedia of Science, Technology and Ethics, edited by C. Mitcham. Detroit: MacMillan Press.
- Brey, P.A.E. 2005. The Epistemology and Ontology of Human-Computer Interaction. Minds and machines 15 (3-4):383-398. available online
- Brey, P.A.E. 2005. Virtual Reality. In MacMillan Encyclopedia of Science, Technology and Ethics, edited by C. Mitcham. Detroit: MacMillan Press.
- Brey, P.A.E., F. Grodzinsky, and L. Introna, eds. 2005. Ethics of New Information Technology (Cepe 2005). Enschede: CTIT / CEPTES - University of Twente.
Professional/Popular publications (selection)
- Brey, P.A.E., and S. Uithol. 2006. Hubert Dreyfus. In Kritisch Denkerslexicon, edited by H. J. Achterhuis and J. Sperna Weiland. Diemen: Veen.
- Brey, P.A.E. 2005. Techniekfilosofie. Verandert de Techniek ook de Filosofie? Wijsgerig Perspectief op Maatschappij en Wetenschap 3 (45):40-51.
- Brey, P.A.E. 2005. The Importance of Privacy in the Workplace. In Privacy in the Workplace, edited by S. O. Hansson and E. Palm. Brussel: Peter Lang.