Please note: Adam Briggle is employed at the University of North Texas, USA. Hence, this webpage is no longer maintained.
His new homepage is at: http://phil.unt.edu/people/faculty/adam-briggle
Adam Briggle graduated with a PhD in Environmental Studies from the University of Colorado, Boulder. His dissertation research was on the President’s Council on Bioethics.
Briggle’s research is interdisciplinary in nature, exploring the connections between science, technology, and society. He is particularly interested in bridging the worlds of academia, public policy, and public culture. Briggle is currently working on the Vici project “Evaluating the Cultural Quality of New Media.” See the description of this project for more information. Within this overall project, his research focuses on the quality of computer-mediated relationships and the meaning of a good life in a high-tech world. He is evaluating the cultural quality of new media, especially in respect to personal relationships, youth culture, and everyday life.
Scientific publications (selection)
- Brey, P., Briggle, A. and Spence, E. (eds.)(2012) The Good Life in a Technological Age, Routledge. available online
- Spence E. and Briggle, A. 2010. Cosmopolitanism Online: How to Build A Virtual Cosmopolis. In Charles Wankel (Ed.) Emerging Ethical Issues of Life in Virtual Worlds. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Current Issues in Computing and Philosophy. 2008. Edited by Briggle, A. Waelbers, K. and Brey, P. A. E. Amsterdam: IOS Press. available online
- A.W. Briggle, K. and Brey, P.A.E (eds). 2008. .Current Issues in Computing and Philosophy. 2008. Edited by Amsterdam: IOS Press. available online
- Briggle, A.R. 2008. Love on the Internet: A framework for understanding Eros online. Journal of information, communication and ethics in society 6 (3):216-232. available online
- Briggle, A.R. 2008. Questioning expertise. (book review of Evan Selinger & Robert Crease (eds), 'The philosophy of expertise, and Roger Pielke, 'The honest broker'.). Social studies of science 3 (38):461-470. available online
- Briggle, A.R. 2008. Technology. In Encyclopedia of Environmental Ethics and Philosophy edited by R. Frodemann and B. Callicott. Farmington Hils (USA): MacMillan Reference. available online
- Rosas, Omar 2008. On the ecological/representational structure of virtual environments. In Current issues in computing and philosophy edited by A. R. Briggle, K. Waelbers and P. A. E. Brey. Amsterdam: IOS Press available online
- Briggle, A.R., and C. Mitcham. 2007. Ciencia Y Política: Perpsectiva Hístorica Y Modelos Alternativos. (Science and Policy: Historical Perspectives and Alternative Models). Revista Ibero-Americana de Ciencia, Tecnologia y Sociedad, 143-158.