In her dissertation (1996) Klasien Horstman analysed how medical science and technologies played a role in the rise of modern, large scale life insurance business at around 1900, and how these institutional insurance arrangements in turn stimulated a predictive, risk oriented style in medicine and new ideals of citizenship. She also contributed to the development of a women studies trajectory in the Department of health sciences and she published on gender and insurance, gender and health etc. The last years the interest in themes like danger and risk, fate and will, control and responsibility has been worked out in sociological, social philosophical and normative analyses of predictive- and preventive technologies and –practices. Currently she studies the role of genetics in the framing of coronary heart diseases, the relation between prevention of coronary heart disease by life style change and by genetic screening programmes, and the different ideals of a ”good life” that are related to these prevention strategies. In 2003 she started a comparative analysis of clinical-genetic and population genetic technologies and practices. Since 2001 she is involved in a research project which explicitly tries to develop a new theoretical frame to deal with the ethical issues with respect to genetic technologies as public issues: central concepts in this study are public responsibility and citizenship. In September 2001 she became Professor in Philosophy and Ethics of Bio-Engineering from a Humanistic Perspective at the Technical University Eindhoven (Socrates Chair).
Scientific publications (selection)
- Derksen, M.H.G. and K. Horstman. 2008. "Engineering Flesh: Towards an Ethics of Lived Integrity" Medicine, Health Care and Philosophy 11(3): 269-283.
- Horstman, K. 2008. Lifestyle, genes and cholestorol : new struggles about responsibility and solidarity. In Genetics from laboratory to society : societal learning as an alternative to regulation, edited by G. H. d. Vries and K. Horstman. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan. available online
- Horstman, K., and C. Smand. 2008. Detecting familial hypercholesterolaemia: escaping the family history. In Genetics from laboratory to society: societal learning as an alternative to regulation edited by G. H. d. Vries and K. Horstman. Hampshire: Palgrave Macmillan. available online
- Horstman, K., and R Houtepen. 2008. Vertrouwen, sturen of leren : een pragmatisch filosofisch perspectief op 'goed professioneel werk'. In Goed werk: verkenningen van normatieve professionalisering, edited by G. Jacobs and R. Meij. Amsterdam: SWP. available online
- Vries, G.H. de, and K Horstman. 2008. Learning from the work that links laboratory to society. In Genetics from laboratory to society. Social learning as an alternative to regulation edited by G. H. d. Vries and K. Horstman. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan. available online
- Penders, B., K. Horstman, and T. Vos. 2007. Proper Science in Moist Biology. European Molecular Biology Organization Reports, 613-613. available online
- Penders, B., K. Horstman, R. Vos, and W. Saris. 2007. From Individuals to Groups: A Review of the Meaning of 'Personalized' in Nutrigenomics. Trends in Food Science and Technology, 333-338. available online
- van Hoyweghen, I., K. Horstman, and R. Schepers. 2007. Genetics 'Risk Carriers' and Life Style 'Risk-Takers': Which Risks Deserve Our Legal Protection in Insurance? Health Care Analysis: Journal of Health Philosophy and Policy 15 (3):179-193. available online
Professional/Popular publications (selection)
- Horstman, K. 2007. Genetische Tests Veranderen Solidariteit, Interview Met Klasien Horstman. In Op Onderzoek (Wetenschap in Nederland), edited by M. J. J. Senten and C. Bovy. Amsterdam: Boom.
- Horstman, K. 2007. Invloed Van Genetische Testen: Belangrijke Sociale Verschuivingen, Interview Met Klasien Horstman. In Respect!: Onderzoek Naar Sociale Cohesie in Nederland, edited by M. Evenblij and R. van Kempen. Amsterdam: Aksant.
- Horstman, K. 2007. Van Sturen Naar Leren: Een Gesprek Met Klasien Horstman En Rob Houtepen. In Een Nuchtere Kijk Op Gezond Gedrag: Vier Thema's Voor Gezondheidsbevordering, edited by S. Kooiker and K. van der Velden. Den Haag: Sociaal en Cultureel Planbureau.
- Horstman, K., and R. Houtepen. 2007. Vertrouwen, Sturen of Leren: Een Pragmatisch Filosofisch Perspectief op 'Goed Professioneel Werk'. In Goed Werk, edited by H. ten Wolde and Y. Zomer. Utrecht: Universiteit voor Humanistiek.