Marjolein Lanzing is currently a PhD student at the Department of Philosophy and Ethics at the Eindhoven University of Technology. Her research ‘The Transparent Self: Identity and Relationships in a Digital Age’ will contain a normative interpretation of the changing norms of privacy under the perspective of the changing meaning of the Self in a digital age. Specifically, this entails an investigation with regard to the ethical concerns that are raised by the surveillance, quantification and enhancement dimensions of self-tracking technologies, with regard to an agent’s “open future”.
After obtaining her bachelor-degree in Philosophy, Marjolein started a master in political science at the University of Amsterdam. She completed the master ‘Conflict Resolution and Governance’ in 2011 with The Good Citizen a thesis concerning the dynamics, conflicts and negotiations surrounding (the values implicit in) citizen initiatives and new policies about empowerment within the local municipality of Amsterdam Oost. She also graduated from a research master in Philosophy at the University of Amsterdam in 2013. Her thesis Changing Norms of Friendship evaluated Facebook-friendships in light of classic and contemporary notions of friendship and changing norms of privacy in the online realm. After her graduation she taught classes in Practical Philosophy at the University of Amsterdam, the Privacy Minor at the Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies of the University of Amsterdam and USE-base (ethics of engineering) at the University of Technology Eindhoven.
Marjolein is member of the Amsterdam Platform for Privacy Research and editorial assistant of Philosophical Explorations, a peer reviewed philosophy journal, specializing in the philosophy of mind and action.
Scientific publications (selection)
- Lanzing, M. (2016) The Transparent Self. Ethics and Information Technology 18 (1) available online
Professional/Popular publications (selection)
- Lanzing, M. & van der Sloot, B. 2017. Living Labs: De stad als laboratorium en de burger als proefkonijn. Nederlands Juristenblad (6) available online
- Lanzing, M. 2017. Pasts, Presents and Prophecies: On your life story and the future use and (re)collection of your data. In: Mind you: The Art of Ethics in an Information Society (Janssens, L. ed.). Amsterdam University Press: Amsterdam. p. 83-88 click to open pdf
- Lanzing, M. 2017. Shortlist: Het Digitale Bestaan. Het Financieele Dagblad. 8 April 2017. available online
- Lanzing, M. (2016) Privacy beschermt de rechtsorde, Volkskrant 20 september 2016 available online
- Lanzing, M. (2016) Vrijheid in Vergeteldheid, De Idee, 26 September 2016 (3) p. 12-17 click to open pdf
- Lanzing, M. 2016. Ken uw digitale zelf (want het internet vergeet niets). De Helling (29:4) available online
- Lanzing, M. 2016. Sleutels en Sleepnetten. Bureau de Helling (commentaar verkiezingsprogramma GroenLinks) Oktober 2016. available online