On October 19, 2006 a working group on Philosophy and Engineering was convened at MIT to discuss the need for greater interaction between philosophers and engineers. The result was an agreement to move forward with a workshop to encourage reflection on engineering, engineers, and technology by philosophers and engineers.
The first Workshop on Philosophy & Engineering (WPE-2007) will be held in the Department of Philosophy, TUDelft, 29-31 October 2007 (Monday-Wednesday). Sessions will include talks by invited and selected speakers as well as a number of special sessions.
The workshop theme is: Engineering Meets Philosophy, and Philosophy Meets Engineering. Extended abstracts (1-2 pages) are invited for submission in one of three tracks or themes:
- Philosophy (theme chair: Carl Mitcham)
- Philosophical Reflections of Practitioners (theme chair: Billy V. Koen)
- Ethics (theme co-chairs: Michael Davis & P. Aarne Vesilind)
Submissions will be reviewed by the workshop committee. Those accepted for presentation at the workshop will be scheduled for 30-minutes talks (inclusive of Q&A) at the workshop. All accepted abstracts will published online on the workshop website , and a printed volume will be assembled following the workshop in conjunction with a major publisher.
Extended abstracts should be submitted (in doc or pdf format) by 17 August 2007 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Use ACM style files in preparing manuscripts, and indicate choice of track/deme (philosophy, reflections, or ethics) in e-mail title line. Notification of acceptance will be sent by 17 September 2007.
- Stephanie J. Bird, Science & Eng. Ethics
- Taft Broome, Howard U.
- Michael Davis, Illinois Institute of Technology
- Tony Eng, MIT
- David E. Goldberg (WPE Co-Chair), UIUC
- Richard Holton, MIT
- Billy V. Koen, U. of Texas at Austin
- Michael Loui, UIUC
- Carl Mitcham, Colorado School of Mines
- Joel Moses, MIT
- Steven P. Nichols, U. of Texas at Austin
- Ibo van de Poel (WPE Co-Chair), TUDelft / 3TU.Centre for Ethics and Technology
- P. Aarne Vesilind, Bucknell U.
- Ibo van de Poel (I.R.vandePoel@tudelft.nl)
- David E. Goldberg (email@example.com)