The 4TU.Centre for Ethics and Technology is a cooperation of the philosophy departments of the three technical universities in the Netherlands. The bundling of forces in the field of ethics and technology in the 4TU.Centre for Ethics and Technology accommodates the increasing need for balanced, high quality and comprehensive reflection and judgment on moral, political and policy issues associated with science and technology.
The 4TU.Centre for Ethics and Technology is one of the eight Centres of Excellence of the 4TU.Federation (http://www.4TU.nl/en/). The Centre has a Management Team, consisting of two representatives of each of the three philosophy departments, and a Board, consisting of the deans of the respective faculties. The Centre currently includes about seventy researchers (tenured and tenure-track staff, postdocs and PhD students).
The 4TU.Centre for Ethics and Technology is looking for an
Assistant Director / Coordinator (interim)
(0,8 – 1,0 fte)
from September 1st till December 31st, 2017
The philosophy department of the University of Twente is responsible for the daily management of the Centre. The Centre has a Graduate School, with currently 19 PhD students enrolled.
Together with the Scientific Director and the Managing Director, the Assistant Director forms the daily board of the Centre.
The primary task of the Assistant Director is to coordinate the activities of the 4TU.Centre for Ethics and Technology and the Centre’s graduate school. The Assistant Director does the daily practical management of Centre, and works in close consultation with the Scientific Director and the Managing Director of the Centre. The Assistant Director is responsible for implementing the policy as outlined by the daily board. This includes the following tasks:
- Daily management of the Centre, preparing meetings with the Centre’s Management Team and Board; coordination with other Centres of Excellence of the 4TU.Federation; communication with the secretary of the 4TU.Federation.
- Coordination of the Graduate School, which includes course organization, administration, and evaluation; coordination with other Dutch graduate schools; evaluation of the graduate programme in relation to funding organizations; promotion of the graduate school and recruitment of new PhD students.
- Organization of 4TU.Ethics events.
- Coordination with international partner institutions in ethics and philosophy (a.o., The Oxford Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics, Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm).
- Promotion of the Centre’s visibility and outreach, which includes website maintenance, promotion of the Centre on electronic mailing lists, developing outreach materials.
- Finances, which includes the administration of budget requests and declarations, support with attracting external money from funding organizations, coordination joint research proposals (Horizon2020, NWO).
Your office will be located at the University of Twente, where the daily board meetings will also take place. Management team meetings take place in Amersfoort or Utrecht.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, results-oriented, and proactive colleague. Requirements:
- PhD or master’s degree in philosophy or other relevant discipline, with an interest in technology and engineering.
- Excellent social and organizational skills, professional disposition, responsible, accurate, independent, and a positive attitude.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English. Mastery of Dutch is a pro.
- Managerial experience is a pro.
We offer an appointment for the period September 1st, 2017 until December 31st, 2017. The appointment is offered fulltime, but can be taken up at 80% if desired. The gross monthly salary is between € 3.475,- and € 4.757,- (fulltime, scale 11 CAO-NU), depending on experience and excluding a holiday allowance of 8% of annual salary and an end-of-year allowance of 8,3% of the annual salary. The University of Twente has excellent terms of employment.
Information and application
Further information about the Centre can be found on the website, www.ethicsandtechnology.eu. For questions about the vacancy, please contact Prof. dr. Philip Brey, scientific director of the Centre (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Your application should include a CV and a letter of application and should be sent by July 16th, 2017.
Applications should be uploaded via uploaded via www.utwente.nl/vacatures/en > vacancies > current vacancies.
A limited number of suitable candidates will be invited for a job interview (Skype is a possibility).