Jessica Nihlen Fahlquist works as a Senior Lecturer in medical ethics in the Centre for Research Ethics and Bioethics at Uppsala University, Sweden.
She is also involved part-time, as a postdoctoral researcher, in Sabine Roeser’s VIDI-project called “Moral emotions and risk politics”. In this project, she conducts research into ethics and risk communication, particularly how moral emotions could and should be included in risk communication. Generally, her research focuses on issues related to technology, risk, and ethics with a particular interest in notions of moral responsibility. In addition to ethics and technology, she has published articles in the areas of public health ethics and environmental ethics. She is also affiliated with the Division of Philosophy at the Royal Institute of Technology in Sweden.
Jessica received her PhD in Philosophy at the Division of Philosophy at the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm in 2008. During the years 2007 to 2011 she worked as a postdoctoral researcher in Ibo van de Poel’s project “Moral responsibility in R&D networks”. This project studied the so called “problem of many hands” in R&D networks. Duing May to August 2012, she was a visiting scholar at Yale University.
Scientific publications (selection)
- Nihlén Fahlquist, J. In press, published online. Responsibility and Privacy - Ethical Aspects of Using GPS to Track Children. Children & Society
- Nihlén Fahlquist, J.A., N. Doorn, and I.R. Van de Poel. 2015. "Design for the value of responsibility". In: Handbook of Ethics and Values in Technological Design. M. J. Van den Hoven, P. Vermaas and I.R. Van de Poel (eds.). Dordrecht, Springer.
- Roeser, S. Nihlén Fahlquist, J. and. 2013. Risk Communication and Moral Emotions. in Joseph Arvai Louie Rivers (eds) Effective Risk Communication
- Nihlen Fahlquist and Grill, K. Risker, ansvar och rattfylleri (Risks, responsibility and drunk driving). Socialmedicinsk tidskrift In Swedish.
- Nihlen Fahlquist J. and I. van de Poel 2012. Technology and Parental Responsibility: The Case of the V-chip". Science and Engineering Ethics, online first, DOI 10.1007/s11948-010-9222-6.
- Van de Poel, Ibo and Jessica Nihlen-Fahlquist. (2012). Risk and responsibility. In Handbook of Risk Theory, S. Roeser, R. Hillerbrand, M. Peterson and P. Sandin. Dordrecht: Springer: 877-907. available online
- van de Poel, Ibo, Jessica Nihlen Fahlquist, Neelke Doorn, Sjoerd Zwart, and Lamber Royakkers. 2012. The Problem of Many Hands: Climate Change as an Example. Science and Engineering Ethics 18: 49-67. available online
- Kaliarnta S, Nihlen-Fahlquist J, Roeser S. 2011. Emotions and Ethical Considerations of Women Undergoing IVF-Treatment. HEC Forum. 23 (4):281-93
- Nihlen Fahlquist, J. and Roeser, S. 2011. Ethical Problems with Information on Infant Feeding in Developed Countries Public Health Ethics 4(2). DOI: 10.1093/phe/phr019.
- Doorn, N. and J.A. Nihlen Fahlquist. 2010. Responsibility in Engineering: Towards a New Role for Engineering Ethicists Bulletin of Science, Technology & Society 30/3: 222-230.
- Fahlquist, Jessica Nihlen. 2009. Saving Lives in Road Traffic: Ethical Aspects. Journal of Public Health. available online
- Nihlen Fahlquist, J.A. 2009. Moral Responsibility for Environmental Problems - Individual or Institutional? Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics. click to open pdf
- Nihlen Fahlquist, J.A. 2007. Moral Responsibility and the Ethics of Traffic Safety, Doctoral thesis, Royal Institute of Technology. click to open pdf
- Nihlen Fahlquist, J.A. 2006. Responsibility Ascriptions and Public Health Problems. Who is Responsible for Obesity and Lung Cancer? Journal of Public Health 14 (1).
- Nihlen Fahlquist, J.A. 2006. Responsibility Ascriptions and Vision Zero. Accident Analysis and Prevention 38:1113-1118. available online
- Nihlen Fahlquist, J.A. 2005. Moral Responsibility in Traffic Safety and Public Health, Licentiate thesis, Royal Institute of Technology. click to open pdf
Professional/Popular publications (selection)
- Nihlén Fahlquist, J. 2013. Ingenjörerna måste ta sitt moraliska ansvar (Engineers must take responsibility). Svenska Dagbladet Brännpunkt 2 Nov 2013
- Nihlén Fahlquist, J. 2012. Hänsyn till värderingar viktigt vid riskbudskap. (Values important in risk messages). Dagens Medicin 16 Aug 2012.
- Hermansson, H. and Nihlén Fahlquist, J. 2011. Mer etik till ingenjörerna, tack! (More ethics to the engineers, please!) Ny Teknik 14 May 2011.
- Nihlén Fahlquist, J. 2011. Kränkande att gps-övervaka barn (GPS-surveillance of Children – an Infringement of Privacy) Svenska Dagbladet Brännpunkt ,10 Nov.
- Nihlén Fahlquist, J. and Roeser, S. 2011. WHO:s amningsrekommendation oetisk i utvecklade länder (WHO’s Breastfeeding Recommendations unethical in developed countries) Läkartidningen 108:32-33, p 1503 (selected one of top three opinion pieces in Läkartidningen 2011).
- Nihlén Fahlquist, J., Roeser, S. 2011. Viktigt diskutera amning (Important to discuss breastfeeding) Läkartidningen 35:
- Nihlen Fahlquist, J.A., Sven Ove Hansson, and Karin Edvardsson. 2005. Vad är ansvar?. In Filosofins nya möten: Gidlunds förlag available online