Anthonie W.M. Meijers (1953) is professor of the philosophy and ethics of technology at Eindhoven University and Delft of Technology. His main affiliation is at Eindhoven, where he is head of the Department of Philosophy. He studied mechanical engineering (Delft 1978) and philosophy (Utrecht 1987) and received his PhD in philosophy at Leiden University (1994). His dissertation was on the foundation of Searle’s theory of speech acts in his theory of mind, for which he did extensive research at Berkeley. Anthonie Meijers ‘s research interests include: the theory of artefacts, agency and artefacts, the epistemology of the technical sciences, and the theory of collective action and collective intentionality.
Anthonie Meijers is co-founder and since 2005 editor of the international journal Philosophical Explorations. He is the editor of the forthcoming handbook Philosophy of Technological Sciences. This handbook is part of a new 14 volume series in the philosophy of science, published by Elsevier Science.
Scientific publications (selection)
- Meijers, AWM 2008. Philosophical explorations 11 (1-3).
- Meijers, A.W.M. 2007. Collective Speech Acts. In Intentional Acts and Institutional Facts: Essays on John Searle's Social Ontology, edited by S. L. Tsohatzidis. Dordrecht: Springer. available online
- Houkes, W.N., and A.W.M. Meijers. 2006. The Ontology of Artefacts: The Hard Problem. Studies in History and Philosophy of Science, 118-131. available online
- Kroes, P.A., and A.W.M. Meijers, eds. 2006. Introduction: The Dual Nature of Technical Artefacts. Studies in History and Philosophy of Science, vol. 37, issue1, 1-4.
- Meijers, A.W.M. 2005. Criteria for Academic Bachelor's and Master's Curricula. Paper read at CESAER Workshop, 30-06-2005, at Darmstadt, Germany.
- Meijers, A.W.M. 2005. Towards a European Qualifications Framework. Paper read at CASEAR Seminar Change of Paradigm from Input to Output, 28-10-2005, at Lisbon, Portugal.
- Meijers, A.W.M., C.W.A.M. van Overveld, and J.C. Perrenet. 2005. Criteria for Academic Bachelor's and Master's Curricula. Eindhoven: Technische Universiteit Eindhoven.
- van den Hoven, M.J., and A.W.M. Meijers. 2005. Upgrading the Moral Reasoner. Paper read at 2005 Summerschool of the Netherlands School for Research in Practical Philosophy, 23-08-2005, at Soesterberg, Netherlands.