Professor Seumas Miller is one of the directors of the Centre for Applied Ethics and Public Ethics (CAPPE) in Australia. He has joined 3TU.Ethics in June 2008. In the period 2008-2011 he will divide his research time equally between CAPPE and 3TU.Ethics. Miller is an internationally recognized expert on corruption, terrorism and police ethics. He will contribute to upcoming new projects of 3TU.Ethics on complex ethical questions in the area of war, terrorism and public security that are raised by new technologies, for example neuro enhancement technologies.
Seumas Miller is also Professor of Philosophy at Charles Sturt University and the Australian National University (joint position), Foundation Professor of Philosophy at Charles Sturt University (1994- ), and Foundation Director of the Centre for Applied Ethics and Public Ethics (CAPPE): An Australian Research Council funded Special Research Centre (2000-2007). He was Head of the School of Humanities and Social Sciences at Charles Sturt University 1994-1999.
His extensive publications include writings on social action and institutions, terrorism, and police ethics, including Social Action: A Teleological Account (Cambridge University Press, 2001) and Ethical Issue in Policing (with John Blackler) (Ashgate, 2006). His latest book is Terrorism and Counter-Terrorism: Ethics and Liberal Democracy (Blackwell, 2008). He has also been awarded numerous competitive grants and consultancies.
Scientific publications (selection)
- Miller, S., Selgelid, M., van der Bruggen, K. 2011. Report on Biosecurity and Dual Use Research. NWO: Dutch Research Council, pp. 1 - 122. click to open pdf
- Miller, Seumas. 2008. Terrorism and Couter-terrorism: Ethics and Liberal Democracy. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing. available online
- Miller, Seumas. forthcoming. Institutional Corruption: A Study in Applied Philosophy. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Miller, Seumas. forthcoming. Investigative Ethics. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing.
- Miller, Seumas, and Michael Selgelid. 2006. Ethical and Philosophical Consideration of the Dual-Use Dilemma in the Biological Sciences. Canberra: Centre for Applied Philosophy and Public Ethics (An Australian Research Council funded Special Research Centre), Australian National University and Charles Sturt University. click to open pdf
Professional/Popular publications (selection)
- Miller, Seumas & Blackler, John. Ethical Issues in Policing Aldershot: Ashgate. available online