Most research in the P&E group takes place at the interface between fundamental philosophical issues and real-world problems that arise from the design, implementation, use and regulation of innovative technologies. In terms of philosophical sub-disciplines, we focus on fundamental and applied issues in ethics, philosophy of science and technology, and epistemology. We work on a variety of application areas, such as artificial intelligence, behaviour change, diffusion of scientific knowledge and methods, energy, engineering education, health, and models of cultural and technological change.
- Teaching courses at BSc and MSc levels, for up to 50% of contract time.
- Doing research in ethics, with a focus on ethical issues related to the design, implementation, use and/or regulation of innovative technology.
- Contributing actively to the daily business and research climate of the group and the department.
The candidate is normally expected to have the following qualifications:
- Ability to conduct academic research of high quality, demonstrated for instance by a relevant PhD thesis and publications.
- Ability to teach, shown for instance by experience or assistance in teaching and positive evaluations of these teaching efforts.
- Areas of specialization: ethics.
- Areas of competence: applied ethics (specifically biomedical ethics, ethics of information technology, data ethics and/or engineering ethics); philosophy of technology.
- Creative and dedicated to (multidisciplinary) collaboration.
- Good communication skills.
- Excellent command of the English language. (There is no Dutch language requirement.)
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary environment; affinity with technology and the engineering sciences.
Conditions of employment
- A challenging job in a dynamic, ambitious and well-organised university with the autonomy to develop your own research line and participate in the curriculum of the department.
- A Tenure Track of five years with the prospect of becoming associate professor. After a maximum of 4 years the tenure decision will be made. If you have a more senior profile, you will receive a tailor-made career proposal.
- Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (https://www.labouragreementuniversities.nl), Scale 11: Currently a monthly gross salary of €3.746 – €5.127. Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary are paid;
- A broad package of fringe benefits (including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, savings schemes).
- In order to empower you, we provide support such as training programs for academic leadership and the university teaching qualification and a dedicated mentoring program to help you get to know the university and the Dutch (research) environment
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as the Dual Career Opportunity program to support accompanying partners, an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Information and application
Technical University of Eindhoven: www.tue.nl
Your application should comprise the following documents (in English):
- Cover letter with motivation for interest in the vacancy.
- Extensive curriculum vitae including a publication list and the names and contact information of two persons willing to provide references.
- Evidence of excellence in teaching, including teaching evaluations (if available)
- One-page research statement.
- Writing sample, the length of a typical research article or book chapter.
We invite invitations by October 28, 2020. Interviews will be held in early December, possibly online. To apply please go to this website. Please note that a maximum of 5 documents can be uploaded. Please do not send us applications by e-mail.