The department is internationally leading in the philosophy and ethics of technology. It currently includes twelve tenured and tenure-track staff members, four postdocs, twenty PhD students, and five temporary and part-time faculty members.
The department also participates in the inter-university 4TU.Centre for Ethics and Technology . Both the department and the Centre have a strong international orientation and include members from many different nationalities.
The University of Twente (UT) is a research university with a strong international orientation and a focus on science & engineering and social and behavioural sciences. It includes more than 3,300 faculty and staff and 10,000 students. Its motto “high tech, human touch” expresses the aim of combining research in engineering with social and behavioural sciences. The UT is a campus university, located in the city of Enschede (pop. 160,000).
You are envisaged to develop a coherent research line oriented towards one or more technologies and their role in society (e.g., environmental, digital, biomedical). We expect candidates to publish in international refereed journals, present at conferences, apply for external funding and engage in international and interdisciplinary collaboration and in outreach activities. Your research will be embedded in the research programme in philosophy and ethics of technology of the department of philosophy and in university-wide multidisciplinary centres in such as those in digital technologies, medical technology, nanotechnology, and in humanities and social sciences research programmes such as those in the assessment of emerging technologies, health, resilience, learning and smart industry. If there is a fit, you can also participate in the inter-university 4TU.Centre for Ethics and Technology.
You teach courses within your specialisation area in the master programme in Philosophy of Science, Technology and Society (PSTS), as well as introductory courses for bachelor and master programmes in science & engineering and social science. You are involved in the supervision of master’s theses in the PSTS programme and will at some point supervise PhD students.
The initial division of tasks is 40% research – 50% teaching – 10% management and administration. After two years, the research allocation is likely to decrease but could be increased again through grant acquisition and/or superior performance in research.
We would like to explore the option of you participating in Ethics of Socially Disruptive Technologies (https://www.esdt.nl/), a new, prestigious ten-year long international research programme of seven academic institutions in the Netherlands that will run from January 2020 to December 2029 and has a combined budget of € 27 million.
- A PhD in philosophy (any area of specialisation)
- A focus on technology and its role in society in past research or a demonstrable interest in focusing on technology for your future research. The focus could be on any technology/technologies, but we are especially interested in a focus on environmental and sustainable technologies, digital technologies (including AI and robotics) or biomedical technologies.
- An excellent list of publications in peer-refereed journals
- Relevant international experience
- Experience in teaching at the university level, preferably including students in science & engineering, social science, or other non-philosophical fields
- Demonstrable didactic skills in teaching, good evaluations, and a passion for teaching
- An ability and willingness to teach in areas of philosophy outside your philosophical specialisation
- Willingness and ability to engage in multidisciplinary collaborations with researchers and teachers from non-philosophical fields
- An excellent command of the English language. All master programmes and most bachelor programmes are taught in English, and English is the official language of the university
We expect that you will to move to the Netherlands, to the region where the university is located or to a region from which a daily commute is feasible.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Your application should include a CV (which should include the title of your dissertation), a letter of application (including a brief summary of your teaching evaluations), a writing sample, and contact information for 2 or more references and should be sent no later than June 24th 2020. Applications should be made through the link here.
Since only three documents can be uploaded per application, please combine documents if needed. Interviews will take place in late June and early July.
We offer an appointment as assistant professor (full-time) for two years with a prospect for a permanent position upon good performance (i.e., the equivalent of tenure track). The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalisation is an important part of the strategic agenda.
- Starting salary between € 3,637 to € 5,656 gross per month based on your experience;
- An additional holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3% (adding up to an annual gross salary of € 50,758 – € 78,935)
- A solid pension scheme;
- Possibilities to save up holidays for sabbatical leave;
- Minimum of 29 holidays in case of full-time employment;
- Professional and personal development programs;
- A high degree of responsibility and independence, while collaborating with close colleagues, researchers and other university staff is strongly encouraged.
- International applicants are likely to qualify for a low 30% tax regime for the first five years of their appointment.
Starting date is flexible; we are looking for the best candidates. We prefer a candidate who can start between September 1st 2020 and February 1st 2021.
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
Faculty of Behavioural, Management and Social sciences The Faculty of Behavioural, Management and Social sciences (BMS) strives to play a pivotal role in understanding, co-engineering and evaluating innovation in society. Innovation is driven by advances in technology. Through ‘social engineering’ these technological advances are embedded in society befitting human needs and behaviour, within proper public and private management and business structures. For this the faculty of BMS upholds high quality disciplinary knowledge in psychology, business administration, public administration, communication science, philosophy, educational science and health sciences. All with a focus on the challenges in society. Research is strongly connected to our institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute.