The Philosophy and Ethics department at the Faculty of Industrial Engineering and Innovation Sciences of the Eindhoven University of Technology seeks an assistant professor for a full-time, tenure-track position. Candidates will have earned a PhD in philosophy by the date of application and demonstrate evidence of excellence in both teaching and research. The candidate is expected to contribute to teaching to engineering students (BSc and MSc levels). In exceptional cases, the candidate could be hired directly at the associate-professor level.
TU/e wishes to further strengthen its profile as a centre for excellent research on data science and artificial intelligence, including applications in health and ‘smart’ mobility. In line with this ambition, we have a preference for candidates who either have a significant track record of philosophical research related to information technology or who show high potential and a strong motivation for developing such research. Fluency in English is required. Since the Department strives for a better gender balance, women are especially encouraged to apply.
Research in the P&E group takes place at the interface between fundamental philosophical issues and real-world problems that arise from the design, implementation, use and regulation of innovative technologies. In terms of philosophical sub-disciplines, we focus on fundamental and applied issues in ethics, philosophy of science and technology, and epistemology. We work on a variety of application areas, such as artificial intelligence, behavior change, diffusion of scientific knowledge and methods, energy, engineering education, health, and models of cultural and technological change.
- Teaching courses at BSc and MSc levels, for up to 50% of contract time;
- Doing research on philosophical issues related to the design, implementation, use and/or regulation of innovative technology, preferably information technology broadly conceived (including AI, smart mobility, robotics);
- Contributing actively to the daily business and research climate of the group and the department.
The candidate is expected to have the following qualifications:
- A Ph.D. degree in philosophy;
- Ability to conduct academic research of high quality on relevant problems, demonstrated for instance by a relevant PhD thesis and/or publication;
- Ability to teach, shown for instance by experience or assistance in teaching and positive evaluations of these teaching efforts.
- Areas of specialization: ethics, philosophy of science, philosophy of technology, epistemology;
- Areas of competence: applied ethics (specifically biomedical ethics, ethics of information technology, data ethics and/or engineering ethics);
- Creative and dedicated to (multidisciplinary) collaboration;
- Good communication and leadership skills;
- Excellent mastery of the English language. Note that there is no Dutch language requirement;
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary environment; affinity with technology and the engineering sciences.
Conditions of employment
- A challenging job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the autonomy to develop your own research line and participate in the curriculum of the department;
- A Tenure Track of five years with the prospect of becoming associate professor. After a maximum of 4 years the tenure decision will be made. If you have a more senior profile, you will receive a tailor-made career proposal;
- Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities;
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary;
- A broad package of fringe benefits (including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, savings schemes);
- If a female candidate is selected for this position, she will become an Irène Curie Fellow in which case the following additional conditions apply;
- In order to empower you, we provide support such as training programs for academic leadership and the university teaching qualification and a dedicated mentoring program to help you get to know the university and the Dutch (research) environment;
- Family friendly initiatives are in place, such as the Dual Career Opportunity program to support accompanying partners, an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Information and application
Research in the P&E group: www.tue.nl/en/research/research-groups/philosophy-ethics
Technische Universiteit Eindhoven: www.tue.nl
If you need more information about the tasks and requirements for this position please contact the chair of the P&E group, Wybo Houkes: w.n.houkes[at]tue.nl
Information about the terms of employment can be obtained from Kim van Puijenbroek, HR Advisor: k.a.g.m.v.puijenbroek[at]tue.nl
Your application must contain the following documents (all in English):
- Cover letter where you motivate your interest in the vacancy;
- An extensive curriculum vitae including a publication list and the names and contact information of two persons willing to provide references;
- Evidence of excellence in teaching, including teaching evaluations (if available);
- A one-page research statement.
If you are interested, we invite you to apply before 6 January, 2020. Interviews will be held in early February, possibly via Skype. To apply please use the “apply” button. Please note that a maximum of 1 document can be uploaded, so if you have more than 1 document you will have to combine them. Please do not send us applications by e-mail.
- atlas: Cursor