The Department of Industrial Engineering and Innovation Sciences (IE&IS)
Eindhoven University of Technology
Vacancy ID: V39.3017
Starting date: Preferably November or December 2017
The Research group Philosophy & Ethics of the Department of Industrial Engineering and Innovation Sciences (IE &IS) seeks a postdoctoral fellow for an appointment of one year (0,5 fte). The Department engages in research and teaching in the areas of industrial engineering, management science, and innovation science. The mission of the department is closely tied to its pioneering work in developing an engineering perspective on business processes, as well as its interdisciplinary research on transitions in societies in relation to technical changes. Eindhoven University of Technology is a leading research university in science and technology with a diverse, international faculty.
Description of the position
The offered position is part of the NWO-program “The Refugee Crisis in Europe: Modelling Humanitarian Logistics” (see https://www.nwo.nl/onderzoek-en-resultaten/onderzoeksprojecten/i/61/28061.html ). Overall logistics of refugees is problematic, because they are not nicely distributed over time, capacity to host them at fixed places is limited and procedures to either grant them a status or send them back have unknown length. Calculating an optimal logistics procedure is very difficult. The goal of the postdoctoral project is to address this issue by representing the different stakeholders and support organizations in the process. This approach of modelling should give right to the different perspectives, rights, concerns and values of each stakeholder. With the help of process mining the necessary information related to humanitarian logistics will be gathered and deviations in the logistics procedures can be detected. Simulations will be used to indicate where bottle necks and redundancies might appear and where they come from, and to serve as a means of communication between the stakeholders showing them the concerns of other stakeholders and what are possible solutions involving the cooperation of several parties.
The postdoctoral fellow will cooperate with another postdoctoral fellow (who already started in April) of this program who investigate the ethical aspects related to the optimalisation of the logistics process, such as privacy and guarantees of the rights to the refugees.
We are looking for candidates that really want to make a difference and like to work on things that have a high practical relevance while having the ambition to compete at an international scientific level (i.e., present at top conferences and in top journals). The candidate is expected to have the following qualifications:
- A solid background in Computer Science or Data Science (demonstrated by Master and PhD degrees);
- A relevant PhD is expected (ideal candidates have a background in process mining and/or have experience with agent based social simulation);
- Good communicative skills in English, both in speaking and in writing;
- Realization of research ideas in terms of prototype software (so software development skills are needed).
Conditions of employment
- a challenging job in a dynamic and ambitious group and department;
- a part-time appointment (0,5 fte) for one year; a possible extension of up to one year depends on the performance and the budget;
- a gross monthly salary between € 3.111,- and € 4.084,-, based on a full-time appointment and depending on experience and knowledge;
- a yearly holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary;
- a yearly end year allowance of 8.3% of the yearly salary;
- a broad package of fringe benefits (including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, savings schemes, and excellent sports facilities).
More information about the Research group Philosophy and Ethics can be found at https://www.tue.nl/universiteit/faculteiten/industrial-engineering-innovation-sciences/
If you need more information about this position please contact the program leader dr. Lambèr Royakkers (email@example.com).
Information about the terms of employment can be obtained from Mrs. Kim van Puijenbroek, personnel officer (firstname.lastname@example.org). Further information about Eindhoven University of Technology can be found at www.tue.nl.
Your application must contain the following documents (all in English):
- Cover letter where you motivate your interest in the vacancy and explicitly explain in which ways you represent a good match
- An extensive curriculum vitae including a publication list and teaching evaluations;
- Names and contact information of two persons willing to provide references.
If you are interested, we invite you to apply before September 15, 2017. Interviews will be held in the first half of October. To apply please click here and use the “apply now” button. Please note that a maximum of 5 documents can be uploaded, so if you have more than 5 documents you will have to combine them. Please do not send us applications by e-mail.