Trilateral Research is a UK and IE-based enterprise, founded in 2004. Our teams include social scientists, data scientists, ethical, legal and human rights experts who work across the technology-social disciplinary divide. We apply rigorous, cutting-edge research when developing and assessing new technologies to ensure they achieve sustainable innovation and measurable impact.
Our culture is based on delivering high-quality outputs, through our commitment and passion for what we do. We work in an open and collaborative environment where the team culture provides support amongst peers and colleagues. Find out about our people and culture, and see how our mission drives the research projects we take on, the key data protection services we provide, and the technology products and supplementary services we develop, by visiting our website Trilateral Research.
We are recruiting a Senior Research Analyst to join TRI’s Innovation & Research team and work with us on enhancing societal trust in science, research and innovation (R&I) as part of the EU funded VERITAS project.
Does the COVID-19 vaccines story show that we are living in a post-science European society? Not necessarily. People are not antiscience, we just disagree on who is the legitimate expert and who has got the right science. The impact of this disagreement and the root cause of vaccine hesitancy, enhanced by the influence and power of social media, is eroding trust in scientific institutions rather than science itself. VERITAS will develop a new ecosystem of trust in science, R&I guided by three questions: (1) what people trust, (2) whom people trust and (3) how trust is built. It will also be based on ‘five machines of trust’, namely research ethics, research integrity, co-creation, technology assessment and benefit-sharing.
MAIN ACTIVITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
As part of VERITAS you will:
- Lead and execute the work in the EU funded VERITAS project focusing on enhancing societal trust in science, R&I, and developing and facilitating science-society co-creation and support Trilateral’s work in other projects as required. This will include:
- Analysing the nature, scale and sources of mistrust of society in science and its consequences
- Mapping the stakeholders in the ecosystem of trust in science
- Examining and synthesizing available methods and tools to guide trust and tackle mistrust in science
- Developing a protocol, including recommendations and guidance, for tackling mistrust, strengthening the open science and co-creation of R&I contents by society and spreading good practices and evidence of their effects.
- Developing a strategy for the exploitation and sustainability of the project results
- Overseeing and providing guidance in relation to research ethics and data management
- Lead and contribute to business development activities focusing on the area of Ethics, Human Rights, and Emerging Tech and support knowledge sharing and training activities.
Proactively identify and pursue opportunities to create tangible research-driven impact.
- Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills, including an ability to effectively communicate across and outside the organisation.
- Excellent/proactive problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Strong people management (relationship-building and influencing) skills.
- Strong organisational and planning skills.
- Adherence to shared values: Commitment to Excellence, Knowledge sharing, Adaptability, Mucking-in, Trust, Respect.
General Knowledge and Technical Skills
- Good understanding of societal trust in science, research and innovation and/or Responsible Research and Innovation (RRI).
- Good multi-disciplinary stakeholder engagement skills, particularly experience working with policymakers, research organisations, higher education institutes, research and innovation actors.
- Qualitative research methods (e.g., focus groups, survey, interviews).
- Excellent attention to detail
- Good understanding of one or more of the following: research integrity and ethics, benefit sharing, science-society co-creation, science communication, open science.
- Knowledge of data protection and research ethics.
- Experience with project administrative and budgetary requirements and issues.
- Successful experience developing research proposals, funding relationships and/or tender/bid writing.
Required Education and ExperienceEssential:
- Masters (completed) or PhD (in hand or near completion) in relevant Social Sciences and Humanities related fields e.g. law (in particular Human Rights), philosophy and ethics, political science, sociology; preference will be given to candidates with interdisciplinary backgrounds.
- Experience in carrying out stakeholder engagement, or other applied methods.
- Experience in developing recommendations and guidance.
- Experience leading tasks and/or coordination of EU-funded projects.
- Team leadership and management experience.
- Track record of building relationships with research collaborators.
Location: This position is open to candidates based in Ireland or the EU
Contract type: For Ireland based candidates – Permanent, full-time Employment Contract ; for EU-based candidates – Fixed Term Consultant Contract
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Hours: Full time
In return, you get …
- Flexible working hours
- Competitive pension scheme (applies to permanent contract only)
- Remote working/working from home options
- A friendly and enthusiastic team of experts in the field
To Apply: Please submit both your CV and a cover letter, linking your experience to our requirements in order to have your application considered. References will be required prior to appointment and candidates must be eligible to work in the IE
We are an Equal Opportunities employer and positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates, regardless of their age, sex, race, disability, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital/civil partnership status, or pregnancy and maternity. We are a Disability Confident committed and Living Wage employer.
At Trilateral Research, we value privacy and data protection rights. We have a longstanding data protection culture and promote robust ethical standards in data management and research ethics. Please read our Recruitment Privacy Notice in relation to our recruitment activities before submitting your application to work with us.