Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) has the following vacancy:
Assistant Professor (1.0 fte, tenure track) in Ethics and Medical Technology (V39.448)
at Section of Philosophy and Ethics of Technology, Department of Technology Management
The section of Philosophy and Ethics of Technology has the mission (i) to contribute to the bachelor and master programs of the Department of Technology Management and (ii) to contribute to a reflective attitude of engineering students in all engineering disciplines at TU/e, with regard to the development and use of technology. The section has an international orientation and is one of the three parties participating in the 3TU.Centre for Ethics and Technology.
The assistant professor participates in education and research in ethics and medical technology. This is a relatively new topic at Eindhoven. The university has several internationally renowned research groups working on medical technology (tissue engineering, medical image processing, bone mechanics, logistics for health care, and so on) and there is a need for ethical reflection on these developments. Part of the job is to explore and develop the topic of ethics and medical technology at TU/e, especially in the sub-department of Innovation Sciences. Teaching (up to 50%) involves compulsory and optional courses in engineering ethics, at the moment mainly in the department of Biomedical Technology. Research (40%) should fit the themes developed at the 3TU.Centre for Ethics and Technology and the profile of the Eindhoven philosophy section. Some administrative duties will be part of the job.
The assistant professor will become a member of the Netherlands Research School for Practical Philosophy and the 3TU.Centre for Ethics and Technology.
- PhD in philosophy and proven interest or degree in science and/or engineering
- Areas of specialization should include applied ethics and meta-ethics
- Outstanding teaching skills, if possible shown by course evaluations
- Excellent research skills in philosophy, as shown by previous publications in international journals
- The spirit and ambition to explore and develop the possibilities of ethics and medical technology at Eindhoven University
- Candidates are expected to submit research projects to external funding agencies.
- The ability to work in an international context
- The ability to supervise PhD students and postdocs
- Sufficient knowledge of the English language. Knowledge of Dutch is not initially required. Assessment of English speaking/writing skills is obligatory for all TU/e educational staff. Master programs are taught in English
Appointment and Salary
- a fulltime appointment for a period of 5 years. Based on achievements and available funding, a permanent position is possible;
- excellent candidates will be offered a tenure track to associate professor
- a gross yearly salary between € 43.000,= and € 66.000,=, depending on experience and knowledge;
- a stimulating, internationally renowned research environment. In the international assessment of research in philosophy in the Netherlands (1999-2004), the section of Philosophy and Ethics of Technology at Eindhoven received the highest marks on all four criteria of the assessment (quality, productivity, relevance, and viability);
- an educational training program, suited to the specific needs of the candidate;
- a broad package of fringe benefits (including an excellent technical infrastructure, savings schemes and excellent sports facilities)
As part of an equal opportunity scheme, women are explicitly requested to apply.
- Information about Eindhoven University can be found at http://w3.tue.nl/en/. Information about the Department of Technology Management can be found at http://w3.tm.tue.nl/en/
- Descriptions of the research projects carried out by the Philosophy and Ethics of Technology group can be found here
- Research in the Section of Philosophy and Ethics of Technology is carried out in close co-operation with the Section of Philosophy at Delft University of Technology. See the joint research program
More information about this position can be obtained from:
prof.dr.ir. A.W.M. Meijers
phone +31 (0)40-2472026/4753
Further information: ir. M.E.M. Roelands (personnel officer) phone +31 (0)40-2474886 e-mail: email@example.com
Send a written (printed) application letter with a recent, detailed Curriculum Vitae, names and contact details of (at least) two referees, a sample of written work to:
Technische Universiteit Eindhoven
Department of Technology Management
Personnel Department, Pav R.1.23
PO Box 513
5600 MB Eindhoven
Please include the job vacancy code: V39.448. Interviews will take place in May/June 2008. You can apply for this job until May 1st, 2008.